mardi, juin 29, 2004

Josefa (Unknown) Picadizo

She would always tell us that she was born on the eve of Jose Rizals death (around December 30, 1896).

She married but had no children. her husband died early. she had a tatoo. three letters. i forgot now what they were exactly. She had 2 siblings. Maria and Evaristo.

She was illiterate, save for the alphabet. She knew some prayers in Spanish. She didnt go to school like children did, because it was customary at that time to not send women. Her parents thought of just marrying her off.

During the second world war. Towards the end. She hid in cavite then migrated back to manila. details are vague. she stood as guardian to rosalinda and her family. esp when felipa, mother to rosalinda, died during the war. and then later, she babysitted rosalinda's children. walking them off to the local schools at zafaro street.

I remember she would tell stories repeatedly of the war. of the americans and the japanese. but i was so young then i didnt bother to write then down. whenever i was sick, she would make me lay my head on her lap and then she would massage it. she used a special kind of oil. whenever i smell that oil (efficacent oil). i think about her. coming home from school, she would ask us for money. and the coins kept piling up underneath her bed until one day. in the 1990s she was sent away. for no apparent reason. i came home and she was gone. i wasnt able to say goodbye even. months later, she died in her sleep with her relatives in binangonan rizal. it was new years eve. everyone was celebrating except me. I was in my room. crying. I miss her so much ..

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi, im mario picadizo, 24 yrs old residing at pasig city. im so amazed to know that i found a relative of ours in this blog. looking at the picture of Josefa Picadizo, reminds me of my grandfather, Gaudencio Picadizo. they almost look alike.i missed him alot. i hope to know some of my relatives that i havent seen or interact with. you may email me at jonel_mario@yahoo.com. till then.